Collinstown’s Leinster Junior Cup winning side, left, and manager Kevin Carroll, centre of picture on right, with the trophy

COLLINSTOWN won the Leinster Junior Cup for the second time in three years with a 3-2 win on penalties after a thrilling tie against reigning AUL champions Sheriff YC ended 2-2 after extra-time.
The Clondalkin side can now add the cup to the LSL Sunday Major 1 title they won during their debut season in the league and they can also add the Polikoff cup to their haul if they can get the better of Willow Park.
Sheriff started strongly but were dealt a blow when Anthony Kavanagh saw red early on after an off the ball incident with Graham Doyle.
Darren Clarke made a lung-bursting run down the left wing and beat two players before clipping the ball into Ian McNeill at the back post. Lee Murphy kept out his effort on goal and the ball was cleared into touch.
As the resultant throw in was about to be taking, Doyle hit the deck and Kavanagh received his marching orders.
Defending champions Sheriff were enjoying large spells of possession but Collinstown were the side creating chances. Sheriff’s ten men were defending resolutely, however, and managed to keep it scoreless going into the break.
Collinstown hit the ground running in the second half and took the lead just minutes after the restart through veteran striker Clarke. The former Dublin Bus assistant manager got on the end of Clarke’s knockdown to fire past Murphy.
Sheriff tried to get back on terms immediately and forged a couple of chances that Murphy brothers Sean and Anthony could have done better with.
The inner-city side grew in confidence as the half wore on with Collinstown starting to drop deeper and deeper. The sides were then brought level, but in terms of numbers rather than goals – Richie Coates joining Kavanagh for an early bath after picking up his second yellow card.
Declan Woods produced an excellent save to deny Sheriff the lead with seven minutes remaining after using his leg to keep out Sean Murphy’s diving header.
Woods was on hand to keep out another Murphy chance before showing bravery to deny John Rock at the back post.
Sheriff then had a chance cleared off the line before eventually drawing level when Anthony Murphy launched a throw into the box. There was some confusion about whether the goal was given until the referee finally decided it could stand after consulting with his linesman.
With regular time drawing to a close, McNeill had to clear off the line Paul Murphy’s attempt to snatch victory for Sheriff.
The first period of extra-time proved uneventful but the second period saw both sides score. McNeill put Collinstown back in front but Sheriff equalised straight from tip off through Thomas Dunne.
Sheriff have an enviable record at penalties but this time it was Collinstown who came out on top from 12 yards.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here