Cabo in Heaven after two victories as UCD also prevail

by Dave Donnelly

League of Ireland FIRST division – Cabinteely 1 – Cork City 0

By Dave Donnelly

CABINTEELY sit on top of the League of Ireland First Division following a fine 1-0 win over title-chasing Cork City at Stradbrook Park.

Keith Dalton netted the only goal of the game early in the first half as Pat Devlin’s side made it two wins from two against the recently relegated City side.

The winger’s cross-turned-shot was deflected in off City defender George Heaven as Cabo’s dream start to the season continued.

The two sides came into the game off the back of opening day wins, Cork edging out county rivals Cobh Ramblers and Cabinteely seeing off Wexford at Ferrycarrig Park.

And it was just as tight a tussle as the opening-day suggested as Cabo won out thanks to a fortuitous deflection on Dalton’s goalbound effort.

“It was a good win, especially against Cork. They’re a big name and they’re strong, but the lads dug in and we got it done,” Knight said afterwards.

“It’s always good [to win man of the match]. You want to do the best you can. Your game comes first and then everybody else around you [follows].

“We seem to do it every year, we get a good start, and I hope we just keep building and take one game at a time and we’ll see how it goes.

“Some of the lads, you’d swear, they’d been here years the way they walk around the dressing room, so it’s nice to see.”

Student success

Meanwhile, UCD moved joint-second with Athlone Town and Treaty United following a fine 4-0 victory away to Cobh Ramblers.

Liam Kerrigan was on target twice in the first half before his former Sligo Rovers teammate, Jack Keaney, and Colm Whelan added late goals.

“Most things worked out for us in the game. We were at it from the first whistle with our work rate and some of the quality of our play made it a really good night for us,” said manager Andy Myler.

“All of the lads, from one to 11 and the lads we brought on, everyone was fantastic. We have a bit of quality in our squad and it comes out on nights like this.“

And Shelbourne remain winless after posting a second successive draw following a thrilling 3-3 encounter with Bray Wanderers at Tolka Park.

Georgie Poynton’s 75th-minute penalty rescued a point after the Seagulls twice came from behind to equalize.

Meathman Poynton put the Reds in front eariy on before on-loan Shamrock Rovers playmaker levelled up just past the midway point in the first half.

Ryan Brennan put Shels back in front moment later before Ryan Graydon evened things up early in the second half.

Kavanagh notched his second of the game to put Gary Cronin’s side in front but Poynton levelled from the spot to ensure both sides finished with identical two-point records.

“If you asked me at half-time it would have (felt like] two [points] lost but if you asked me now it would be a point gained,” said Shels manager Ian Morris.

“You go 3-2 down in the second-half and get a point from it, you’re probably happy enough (with that). There were two good and entertaining sides that went out to win the game.”

PHOTO – Cabinteely Adam Hayden scrambles to keep out a Cork City chance in last Friday’s victory. – (BY – Paul Lundy)

Related Articles