Kieran O’Sullivan points way for Brigid’s to JHC ‘A’ title

by Stephen Findlater



Kieran O’Sullivan kept his nerve deep into injury time to shoot St Brigid’s to the Dublin Junior A hurling championship title on Saturday at Parnell Park. 

It came from a penalty as the Brigid’s man elected to take a point from the golden opportunity, securing their one-point victory. 

The Russell Park men led by five points at the three-quarter mark, 0-16 to 1-8, but Kevin O’Reilly converted four frees and when Colm Behan put over an excellent score, the sides were level. 

This final, held behind closed doors due to the current Covid-19 restrictions, had been delayed during the second half owing to an injury to Brigid’s Ciarán Breslin. 

And, as the game moved into the tenth minute of added time, Brigid’s were awarded the penalty that O’Sullivan drove over with practically the last action of the game. 

In the opening half, Brigid’s concluded the half on the up with the last four scores – Kieran O’Sullivan (two frees), Matt Barr (son of legendary Dublin footballer Keith), and Michael Fraine with a stylish point from 45 metres to lead 0-9 to 0-4 at half-time after playing with wind advantage. 

Barr extended Brigid’s lead on the restart but Lucan roared back to hit 1-4 without reply – former Dublin senior Kevin O’Reilly drilling home the goal, following a good fetch from a Barry Aird delivery, in the 36th minute. 

O’Reilly also put over two frees with Oisín O’Brien and Rob Lambert also on the scoresheet to push Lucan into a 1-8 to 0-10 lead.  

O’Sullivan levelled matters before Brigid’s had a goal ruled out for a square ball infringement as full forward Stephen Moore flicked the sliotar to the Lucan net past Fintan Clandillon. 

But Brigid’s surged into a five-point lead with O’Sullivan hitting three points, including two frees, Ciarán Dolan and Adam McGuirk all on target. 

Back came Lucan with the deadball accuracy of O’Reilly and Behan’s score bringing the sides level once again. 

However, Brigid’s, captained by goalkeeper Kieran Cahill, had the last word with O’Sullivan’s decisive point from that penalty in the 10th minute of added time. 

Related Articles