Bradley fumes as Greene sees red

by Stephen Findlater

LOI Premier Division
Bohemians 1
Shamrock Rovers 0

Stephen Bradley was fuming after a controversial red card condemned Shamrock Rovers to a fifth Dublin Derby defeat in six games on Monday night.

Dinny Corcoran’s second-half penalty ensured a 1-0 win for Bohemians, who turned the Hoops over at the same venue on the opening day of last season.

Rovers played more than an hour with ten men following the dismissal of Aaron Greene for a heft challenge on Bohemians’ Keith Ward.

The former Bohs striker was shown a straight red card for the tackle, a decision that left manager Bradley bewildered after the game.

“Anyone who knows Aaron knows he doesn’t make tackles like that,” said Bradley.

“It was right in front of me. He puts his body over the ball to shield the ball. He doesn’t go near the player. It was a poor decision.

“The yellow was out and he was about to put it in the air and the fourth official said red card, which is unbelievable. It’s the only decision he got involved in all night.”

Bradley was insistent that, not only was it not a foul, but that Ward himself had stated a yellow card would have been excessive.

Ward himself said it when he got up, it’s not even a booking. I thought, up to the sending off, we were controlling the game.

“We were moving the ball around, we looked really good, and we were getting the ball forward. The sending-off obviously shook us for a few minutes.

“But we settled again and the last 15-20 minutes we created a lot of chances again.

“Up until the sending-off we were very good.

“We’re disappointed because we don’t think they had another chance apart from that, and with ten players we looked very good.”

Ward was a constant thorn in Rovers’ side, particularly against ten men, and it was he who drew the foul for the penalty after ghosting past Ronan Finn, who tugged his shirt.

Rovers had gone with Sean Kavanagh on the left of a back three, and the winger was outstanding in an unfamiliar role, constantly driving his side forward even with ten men.

Rovers did create chances of their own, Dylan Watts curling a shot inches wide of the post and a Lee Grace header that Bohs keeper James Talbot just about dealt with, but they lacked a final touch.

“We’re down. We’ve lost the derby – there’s no getting away from it.

“We’re not happy. But if you look at the performance, when we had 11 we were excellent.

“We moved them around and had them chasing shadows for 25 minutes. The sending-off shook us for a few minutes.

“Then the last 20 minutes we had a push, changed the system and went two up again and created more chances.

“Obviously really disappointed to lose the game but so many positives to take.”

Related Articles