Bohs put Cork in unbeaten run

by Karl Graham

KEITH Long heaped praise on his team after Bohemians ended Cork City’s unbeaten run with a 1-0 win at Turners Cross – giving their own survival hopes a massive shot in the arm in the process.
Teams have made the trip south this season and been steamrollered by the champions-elect but Bohs showed great spirit and organisation to grab a win that sees them rise to sixth position in the SSE Airtricity Premier Division.
“Shane Supple had to make saves coming to Cork,” Long said after the game. “They’re league leaders for a reason and that is their first defeat of the season, so your goalkeeper has to perform coming to Turner’s Cross.
“But, to a man, we were excellent. The boys have put in a really strong effort tonight. It’s a reward for our players and for the effort that they have put in.”
Cork put huge pressure on the visitors during the opening half hour but they failed to find an opening and it was in fact the Gypsies who nearly the lead when Ciaran O’Connor nearly took advantage of a mistake by Conor McCarthy. His strike on goal was well kept out by Mark McNulty.
Soon after, it was the Bohs keeper Shane Supple who was called in action to keep out Gary Buckley’s goal bound header.
The home side were dominating possession but Bohs always looked dangerous on the break. Cork looked like they would finally get past Supple when Stephen Dooley looked set to get a strike on gaol under George Poynton superbly intervened.
Bohs finally broke the deadlock on 62 minutes when Izzy Akinade was fouled in the box by McCarthy, and Poynton finished from the spot.
Cork pushed for an equaliser but the visitors took strong to secure a massive three points.
The win is even more impressive considering it came just three days after their 2-1 win in the Dublin derby with Shamrock Rovers.
“It’s another big win for us,” said Long. “The attitude and the application of players has been first class again tonight after the quick turnaround from Friday’s win over Rovers and to come to the runaway leaders, Cork City, and turn them over in their own patch is really pleasing.
“It was a backs-to-the-wall performance at times, but we also showed good quality and we had the two most clear-cut chances in the first half. And we should have gone in ahead at half-time.
“In the second half, we weathered the storm, then got the goal that our counter-attacking play merited and hung on in for a win.
“We have Bray on Friday and it’s a huge game for us so we have to turn our focus and attention to that.”

Related Articles