Bohemians fell to Derry City in their first League of Ireland Premier Division tie of 2017. Picture: Seb Daly/Sportsfile

BOHEMIANS suffered a disastrous start to the season as they went down 4-1 to Derry City in their opening game of the SSE Airtricity League at Dalymount Park.
Aaron McEneff opened the scoring on 14 minutes when the visitors were awarded a penalty for a foul on Rory Patterson. Bohs keeper Shane Supple guessed the right way but was unable to get down far enough to stop it.
Bohemians responded well to going behind but should have been two down when Ronan Curtis found space at the back post but failed to get enough purchase on his header.
Derry were dominating but were dealt a blow when Patterson was forced off the pitch, to be replaced by Nathan Boyle at the half hour mark.
It turned out to be a blessing in disguise as Boyle took advantage of a mistake in the Bohs defence to double his side’s lead just before the break.
Derek Pender attempted a pass back to his keeper but Supple was off his line and had to sprint back to make a clearance that only went as far as Boyle, who couldn’t miss.
Dinny Corcoran almost pulled one back for Bohs five minutes after the restart but his header flew over the bar and his side went 3-0 down when Boyle finished between the keeper’s legs.
Corcoran did eventually get on the score sheet five minutes later but the game was done and dusted in the 65th minute when Lukas Schubert scored just 15 seconds after coming onto the pitch.
St Patrick’s Athletic also had a disappointing start to the season after losing 2-1 to the ambitious Bray Wanderers at Richmond Park.
The Inchicore side went into the game in buoyant mood but they struggled to connect their midfield with striker Christy Fagan during the opening stages.
Bray were better from the off and took the lead after 22 minutes when 31-year-old former St Pat’s striker Anto Flood got his career in Wicklow off to a great start by heading home the exceptional Dylan Connolly’s cross.
The visitors continued to put crosses into the box, sensing vulnerability in the Pat’s defence but neither side created much of note during the remainder of the half.
Pat’s made changes early in the second half but went 2-0 down on 65 minutes through Gary McCabe.
Graham Kelly pulled one back for the home side with six minutes remaining but there was to be no equaliser and Pat’s were reduced to nine men with Aidan Keena and Darren Dennehy were sent off late on for separate incidents.
Shelbourne started their First Division campaign with a stalemate against Longford Town at Tolka Park.
The visitors had the better of the first half, which included them missing a penalty, but Shelbourne were much improved in the second.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here