Bohs formally secure 2018 Premier place

by Gazette Reporter

BOHS ensured the title race rumbled on for another few days as they played out a highly entertaining 0-0 draw with Cork City last weekend.
With a rumoured 1,000 Cork fans travelling to a blustery Dalymount Park, John Caulfield’s troops hoped to end their 12-year wait for a league title but it wasn’t to be as an impressive Bohs side kept the champagne on ice until Tuesday night.
Having seen their 17-point lead eroded over the recent weeks, maybe nerves played a part, but the league leaders didn’t play to their maximum, or weren’t allowed to by a dogged Bohs team looking for the elusive point to mathematically guarantee safety.
In a first half that would be best described as a war of attrition, both teams had decent spells of possession with neither grabbing the game by the scruff.
The champions-elect looked a threat through Karl Sheppard over the top and the pacey Kieran Sadlier on the right wing. And it was the winger who had the first effort of note cutting inside onto his left foot and drilling a low effort just wide of the near post that had Shane Supple scrambling.
With nearly 20 minutes played, controversy ensued when Sheppard broke the Bohs offside trap.
The front man looked to have nicked the ball away from the onrushing Supple and dramatically leapt over the challenge, but referee Robert Harvey saw nothing wrong and waved play on, much to the relief of the Gypsie faithful.
The home side grew in confidence from them and looked dangerous themselves through Ismahil Akinade’s pace on the right wing causing havoc. Dan Byrne and Oscar Brennan had pot shots as the home fans began to come alive.
The second half continued at a rip-roaring pace with the hosts forcing the issue higher up the field. A spate of early corners got the home fans on their feet and had their own chance to be up in arms over a controversial decision.
The impressive Paddy Kavanagh crossed deep to the back post where it looked that Akinade was being hauled to the ground by Shane Griffin. Everyone on the field stopped as the referee looked on and eventually decided to wave away the protests.
The best chance of the half fell to Bohs’ top scorer Dinny Corcoran from another quality Kavanagh cross. The big number nine found himself free in the box but was unable to generate any power behind the header to trouble McNulty.
As the game drew to a close, there was time for one more chance. Substitute Ian Morris had a right footed effort that forced the Cork stopper into one more top class save.
The dramatic game finished 0-0 as the Leesiders’ celebrations continue to be put on hold while the valuable point guarantees the Phibsboro based outfit premier division football for next season.
Bohs final home game of the season is against Finn Harps on Friday, October 27. Kick off is 7.45pm.

Related Articles