FAI Intermediate Cup Final: Rockmount come out on top

by Jonny Stapleton
0 comment

Rockmount 2

Bluebell United 0

Jonny Stapleton

There was plenty of guts but no glory for Bluebell United at Turner’s Cross last weekend.

The Dublin side were just one win away from an FAI Intermediate success that looked very unlikely at the start of the season but ultimately lost out to Rockmount in the decider.

The Leinster Senior League side were competitive throughout and were level at the turn but shipped two second-half goals to the Munster Senior League leaders.

Rockmount settled well in the opening stages, with Luke Casey shooting over from long range and Niall Hanley going close with an effort inside the penalty area.

Eoin Murphy also threatened with a free kick from a dangerous position on the half hour mark but Bluebell showed they still possessed an attacking danger of their own, when from a corner kick top scorer Sodiq ‘Drogba’ Oguntola headed over.

At the end of a competitive opening 45 minutes there was nothing to separate the teams.

However, Rockmount stole in front early in the second half. Casey was felled in the boxing allowing affording Eoin Murphy an opportunity to break the deadlock from 12 yards.  

One of Crok’s best amateur footballers duly obliged with a confidently taken strike to the bottom corner to put his team in control.

Things got even better from a Rockmount point of view in the 65th minute when they were to double their lead.

From a well worked shot free kick routine, Danny Aherne put a lovely ball into the penalty area. On hand was Cian Murphy to powerfully head into the back of the net.

Despite the best Bluebell efforts to find a lifeline back into the contest, Rockmount managed the game well and saw the final out to a successful conclusion.

Cian Murphy of Rockmount in action against Brian Cabreley of Bluebell United during the FAI Centenary Intermediate Cup final at Turner’s Cross in Cork. Photo: Seb Daly/Sportsfile

Related Articles