Bluebell make major LSL senior statement

by Karl Graham
0 comment

BLUEBELL United sent out a huge statement of intent to their title rivals with a 4-0 win away to reigning champions St Mochta’s in the LSL Senior Sunday last weekend.
Killester United have been the surprise package this season to sit top of the table but Bluebell’s latest win sees them rise to second, eight points behind the leaders but with three games in hand.
Mochta’s denied Bluebell three in a row when they pipped them by one goal last season but the latter now hold a 14-goal advantage over their rivals having played a game less.
Both sides had chances during the opening period of the game with Morgan Cranley forced into a great save after four minutes before Keith Dunne fired over for the home side.
Dean Ebbe had a great chance to open to the scoring on 22 minutes when he broke through on goal and attempted to lift the ball over the onrushing Cranley. He beat the keeper but his effort finished wide of the post.
Three minutes later and Mochta’s had a great chance of their own after Andy McNulty spilled the ball into the path of Dunne but the marksman again fired over the bar.
It didn’t take much longer for the game’s first goal, however, after a free kick into the box bounced around the area before striking the unlucky Craig Sheridan in the chest and flying into the back of the net.
Ebbe almost doubled his side’s lead seven minutes before half-time when he met a cross into the box and smacked a powerful shot off the crossbar.
Anthony Murphy almost levelled the score on 40 minutes when his header found the target from a corner but Bluebell managed to scramble the ball away from the line.
That chance fired Bluebell back into action and they forced Cranley into another top save.
There was drama on the stroke of half-time as saints midfielder Mark O’Neill – who was booked for a late challenge early in the game – picked up his second yellow and went for an early bath after a high foot.
Chances were aplenty at the start of the second half with Shane Stritch failing to find the target for the visitors before David Somers headed a good chance over.
Keith Quinn killed off the game when he found the net late on before Gareth Cooney grabbed Bluebell’s third two minutes later with a volley into the corner of the net.
Stephen Larkin wrapped up the scoring four minutes from time after finishing off a good team move. Bluebell will be delighted with their emphatic win but Mochta’s will be left ruing what might have been had they kept 10 men on the pitch.

Related Articles