Ballyboden close gap on Sarsfields

by Aaron Dunne
0 comment

Ballyboden St Enda’s moved to within two points of league leaders Lucan Sarsfields when they made the short but worthwhile trip to Tymon Park, defeating local rivals St Jude’s by 4-15 to 1-12.

After falling to Thomas Davis a fortnight previously, Boden were determined to get back on track and were assisted in their cause by the temporary return from Dublin duties of both Ryan Basquel (inset) and Ross McGarry.

McGarry played a half and looked sharp throughout while Basquel also impressed as he kicked five points in total, three coming from placed balls.

Daire Sweeney and Ryan O’Dwyer also looked sharp in attack, scoring 1-5 and 1-2 respectively, with the other St Enda’s goals coming through Darren O’Reilly and James Holland.

That win kept Ballyboden within two points of leaders Lucan, who completed their sixth win of the campaign when beating Naomh Olaf by 0-14 to 1-8 at Páirc Uí Bhriain.

The visitors were generally in control thanks largely to the influential performances of Sean Cleary, Luke Gavigan and Mark Lavin.

Lavin top scored with 0-5 (2f), and with Brendan Gallagher adding four points and Jack Lawlor three points, Lucan held on despite the concession of a late goal.

In Hyde Park, goals from Niall O’Callaghan and the lively Cillian Dunne proved pivotal as Cuala got the better of Skerries Harps by 2-11 to 1-9.

The aforementioned duo were the pick of a home attack that added to their tally through five points by Luke Keating and further scores from Shane Mangan, Luke Tracey and Eoin Kennedy.

In addition to kicking a score, Tracey showed well at the back for Cuala, who kept a tight rein on the Harps attack thanks to stellar performances in defence by Diarmuid Ó Floinn and Michael Conroy.

Cuala now lie in mid-table alongside a Castleknock side that accounted for St Vincent’s by 0-17 to 2-8 at Somerton Park with Tomás Quinn netting twice for Vinnies in quick succession, one from the penalty spot.

The contest was delicately poised at half-time but the hosts did just enough to build up an unassailable lead through four frees over the hour by Ger McDermottroe, three points by Luke Swan, two points apiece from Ben Galvin, Conor Chawke and Tommy McDaniel with Niall Milmore, Rob Shaw, Kevin Stephenson and Shane Boland also on target.

Meanwhile, on Tuesday evening, Kilmacud Crokes also moved away from the danger zone as they edged Ballymun Kickhams by 1-11 to 1-7 in Páirc Ciceam.

Craig Dias scored the Crokes goal, with the scoring returns of the influential Shane Horan (0-3), Dan Brennan (0-2) and Cian O’Connor (0-2) helping mitigate against the black card received by Rory O’Carroll towards the end of the first-half.

Elsewhere, St Sylvester’s joined Ballyboden in second place when beating Raheny by 3-8 to 1-8 in St Anne’s Park while Ballinteer St John’s and Na Fianna drew 0-12 to 1-9 in Marley Park.

Go Ahead Dublin AFL1: Ballymun Kickhams 1-7 Kilmacud Crokes 1-11; Naomh Olaf 1-8 Lucan Sarsfields 0-14; Raheny 1-8 St Sylvester’s 3-8; Thomas Davis v Clontarf OFF; St Jude’s 1-12 Ballyboden St Enda’s 4-15; Cuala 2-11 Skerries Harps 1-9; Castleknock 0-17 St Vincent’s 2-8; Ballinteer St John’s 0-12 Na Fianna 1-9.

Related Articles