Goals Galore as ballyboden hold off ‘Mun

by Aaron Dunne
0 comment

BALLYBODEN found the net four times as they held off a strong Ballymun Kickhams side in Parnell Park on Saturday by 4-10 to 2-11.

Ballymun (who had squeezed past Clontarf in the opening round) led 0-7 to 0-6 at half-time.

After ‘Mun had created further daylight between the teams, Ryan Basquel bagged the opening major of the tie on 38 minutes.

Even though Rock expertly converted a penalty, Basquel’s brother Ryan, Warren Egan and James Holland all rattled the net to drive Ballyboden home.

The Firhouse Road side are currently joined on top of Group Two by Cuala, who built upon their draw with ‘Boden in a 4-11 to 3-7 victory over Clontarf at O’Toole Park.

The fit-again Con O’Callaghan and his brother Niall ran riot for the winners as they ended the proceedings with an extraordinary combined tally of 4-7.

Clontarf bagged three goals in the space of just eight minutes late on, the last of them dramatically reducing the gap to two points.

Yet Cuala had enough left in the tank to record their first win since returning from the Senior Two Championship.

For the second round running, Templeogue Synge Street produced late heroics to earn a share of the spoils in Group One.

In their opening game of the campaign against Ballinteer St John’s at O’Toole Park on August 6 – which was also the club’s first appearance in the top-tier since 2017 – inter-county star Lorcan O’Dell struck a superb score deep into stoppage-time to secure Templeogue a dramatic 1-10 to 0-13 draw.  At Parnell Park on Friday evening, it was the turn of Killian O’Gara to secure a valuable point for Mike Fitzpatrick’s side in a tricky encounter with Raheny.

In the group’s other game at O’Toole Park on Saturday, defending champions Kilmacud Crokes held off a spirited showing from Ballinteer St John’s to claim a 0-12 to 0-8 triumph.

In Group Three, Thomas Davis bounced back from an opening day defeat to Na Fianna by getting the better of Skerries Harps at St Margaret’s on an eventual 2-17 to 4-9 scoreline.

This success gives the Tallaght side a fighting chance of reaching the last-eight, with 2021 Dublin SFC runners-up St Jude’s also on two points following their 2-8 to 0-9 reversal to Na Fianna at Parnell Park on Friday evening.

There was the most dramatic of finales to the Group Four meeting of Whitehall Colmcille and Castleknock at Parnell Park as an injury-time free found its way to the back of the net to earn the Collins Avenue men a 3-16 to 3-14 triumph.

And in the other game of the weekend, Lucan kept their hopes of qualification alive with a 1-21 to 1-7 win over Towers of Lusk.

PHOTOS : Action from Ballyboden St Enda’s Dublin SFC Group 2 win over Ballymun Kickhams at
Parnell Park last weekend. Picture: Niall O’Colnnell

Related Articles