Man is charged with Kenneth O’Brien murder

by Staff Reporter

A Dublin man has appeared in court charged with the murder of 33-year-old Kenneth O’Brien.
Paul Wells (48) is accused of killing the father-of-one, whose remains were found by passers-by in the canal last month.
Mr Wells was remanded in custody after Dublin District Court heard he replied after caution: “I am responsible for killing Kenneth and I gave a true account of what happened.”
The accused, with an address at Barnamore Park, Finglas, is charged with the murder of Kenneth O’Brien on or about January 15 and 16 last.
The murder is alleged to have happened at Mr Wells’ home address at Barnamore Park.
At a late sitting of the court, Gda Sgt Gerard Moore of Leixlip Garda Station told Judge Anthony Halpin he arrested the accused for the purpose of charge at Naas Garda Station at 4.53pm (Feb 12).
He charged him at 5.16pm and handed him a true copy of the charge sheet.
No bail application was made on the accused’s behalf by his solicitor Kieran Conway as bail cannot be granted at district court level on a murder charge.
Legal aid was granted after Sgt Moore said the gardai were aware of the accused’s financial means.
The accused, wearing a blue hooded top over a black tshirt, black trousers and white runners, did not address the court during the brief hearing. Judge Halpin remanded him in custody to appear in Cloverhill District Court on February 18.
Mr O’Brien’s partner sat in the court’s public gallery during the proceedings.
Mr O’Brien was reported missing on January 15. He was last seen in the early hours of that morning, when he left his home on Lealand Road in Clondalkin telling his partner he was going to work.
Mr O’Brien had recently returned from Australia, where he had lived and worked for three years.

Related Articles