Two men arrested after attempted burglary at Central Park

by Gary Ibbotson

Two men have been arrested following an attempted break-in at the Central Park apartment complex in Leopardstown where seven people were left injured.

According to the Gardai, the incident occurred on Saturday, March 7 at 3pm.

A spokesperson for the Gardai said: “Gardai in Dundrum are investigating an aggravated burglary that occurred at an apartment in Leopardstown, Co. Dublin in the afternoon of Saturday, March 7 2020 at approximately 3pm.

“Two men (early 40s) entered the apartment and were interrupted when the residents heard them in the next room.

“The men were detained by the residents and a number of the residents were assaulted during the incident.

“Gardai attended the scene as the two men were attempting to flee.

“Gardai arrested both men and seized a hammer and property from them that was taken from the apartment. Both men were taken to Dundrum Garda station where they are currently detained under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act, 1984 and investigations are ongoing.

“All seven residents were injured during the incident and a number of them sought medical attention.”

It is understood the burglars attempted to take valuable items such as laptops, phones and watches from the residence.

The spokesperson said investigations are currently ongoing.

Independent Councillor and Leas-Cathaoirleach for Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council, Deirdre Donnelly, said: “This is absolutely frightening, given the fact in particular that the individuals were armed and injured a group of seven residents.

“It clearly reinforces the need for better CCTV in the county and also a better Garda presence.

“I would like to congratulate the Gardaí who responded so quickly and brought the alleged offenders to Dundrum Garda Station.

“I think that the increase in violent crime however raises the fact that there are clear weaknesses in our justice system.”

The incident follows on from a stabbing which occurred at Glencairn Luas stop in Leopardstown on Monday, March 2 where a teenager was stabbed by a group of males.

It is understood that the boy, in his mid-teens, was approached by the group at about 10pm and was stabbed after an altercation broke out.

The boy was taken to St Vincent’s Hospital by ambulance but his injuries are not believed to be life-threatening. No arrests have been made and investigations are ongoing.

Related Articles