Ballyogan residents disgusted by brutal garda attack

by Rebecca Ryan
Investigations ongoing after an assault on a Garda in Ballyogan

A local councillor has offered her sympathies after an assault on a Garda in Ballyogan. 

At around 7.30pm on Saturday April 28, two gardai tried to search a man on Ballyogan Avenue.

A large crowd quickly gathered outside a house and a metal baseball bat was produced.

One garda was hit with the bat a number of times causing injuries to his body, head and face.

The garda was taken to Tallaght Hospital. Another garda was also bitten by a dog during the search and required hospital treatment.

In a follow up operation shortly after midnight, a residence was searched on Ballyogan Avenue by gardai from Dun Laoghaire supported by Armed Support Units.

A man in his 50s was arrested, along with a number of items seized, but the man has since been released.

A Garda spokesperson told Dublin Gazette: “The Guard has been released from hospital. No further arrests [have been made, and] investigations are ongoing.”

Councillor for Glencullen-Sandyford Lettie McCarthy (Lab) said the residents in Ballogan are disgusted by the incident.

The Labour Cllr said: “I was saddened to hear about this incident and feel for the residents in Ballyogan having their estate highlighted in this manner.

“Residents in Ballyogan have worked hard over the years creating a strong community spirit and I have always enjoyed working with them.

“The wonderful work of Estate Management and residents is evident with their planting throughout and at the entrance of the estate for us all to enjoy.

“I wish the gardai involved a full recovery and thank them for their service to all of us.”

Meanwhile, a Dublin TD is calling for tougher legislation to crack down on criminals who attack gardai.

Fianna Fail’s spokesperson on Justice, Jim O’Callaghan said: “Those who are intent on attacking gardai and others on duty emergency workers, who put their own personal safety on the line to serve the public, must feel the full rigour of our law.

“The attack on gardai which took place over the weekend was sadly just one of many which have occurred across the country as of late.

“We need a very strong response to anyone committing such an attack.”

He added that Fianna Fail previously introduced legislation to make sure all those working on the front line are protected, and that those convicted of a serious attack on an emergency worker would receive a minimum five-year prison term.

But he said: “Regrettably the Fine Gael led Government failed to support this key piece of legislation.

“Our party have now updated this Bill and will be pushing the Government once again on the issue.”

T.D. for Dublin Rathdown and Green Party Deputy Leader Catherine Martin has condemned attacks.

She said: “This was a truly appalling attack on our Gardaí, and the local community are absolutely shocked and horrified. I hope that those responsible are brought to justice without delay.

“More investment is needed to provide more Gardaí in the area, but also new measures have to be considered to ensure the safety of Gardaí.”

While, Sinn Féin councillor for Sandyford Glencullen Chris Curran expressed his utter disgust at the attacks.

He said: “This is absolutely not reflective on the amazing work of the Ballyogan Community – it’s football teams, arts groups, youth clubs, estate management, festival committee, to mention just a few.

“I wish the Gardaí involved a speedy recovery and they can rest assured that the community is behind them.”

Related Articles