Dog owners in Killiney and surrounding areas are once again reporting that their dogs are becoming seriously ill after visiting Killiney Hill.
Over the past couple of months, at least eight dogs have become ill after going for walks in the area with a further six reportedly dying.
The issue originally arose last summer when a number of dog owners claimed that their pets had fallen ill but the problem was never resolved.
Reports of the more recent incidents surfaced this past December.
One woman, Jane McGarry said that her dog became seriously ill after being walked on the hill late last year.
She said: “She (her dog) was taken to the vet first thing, and (had) liver and heart and neurological problems.
“Bloods show she has recently been fighting a virus although she hadn’t seemed unwell until the walk. I’m now unable to sleep thinking there may have been poison on the hill.”
Another woman, Eva Berg said earlier this month, two of her dogs had to be rushed to a veterinarian after vomiting and collapsing a few hours after a walk on the hill.
People Before Profit councillor for Killiney-Shankill, Hugh Lewis says he has been made aware of the situation.
He said: “This issue has been raised me over the course of the past few weeks,”
“As a response I have submitted a motion that will discuss these recent tragic cases with the intention of the Council providing possible solutions to do as much as we can collectively to stop any such dog poisoning from occurring again.”
In a statement, Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council said it was not responsible for any potential poison being spread on Killiney Hill.
It said: “The Council does not use chemicals or spread poison in public areas.
“There are currently no vermin control measures in Killiney Hill. Local Parks staff will continue to engage with the public in relation to the issue.”