The football pitches in Kilbogget Park that were damaged by joyriders late last year will not be playable until the end of summer, according to Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council.
On December 28, a car was reported driving around the park at about 4:30am before being found ablaze on a pitch by responding gardai.
Images circulated on social media following the incident showed the scale of the damage done to two playing pitches, as well as the remains of the burnt out car.
It is understood that the nearby athletics track used and managed by Cabinteely Athletic Club was also damaged in the incident.
However, the local authority now says that the repairs are “well under way” but it may some time before the pitches are reopened.
“It is hoped to have the facilities back playable in late summer 2020, although this could be earlier depending on spring weather conditions,” said the council.
“It is difficult to give an estimate of the costs at the moment, but this information will be available once the repairs have been completed.”
Chairman of Cabinteely FC, Michael Galvin says that the club is “hopeful they [the pitches] will be ready for our mini world cup which starts the Tuesday after the June bank holiday and runs for two weeks.”
“We are working closely with the council on this and are very happy with their response,” he says.
However, Galvin says that patch of bad conditions could push the reopening date back.
“The weather will play a big part in how quickly the pitches can recover. A long cold snap will set things back,” he says.
Earlier this month, a review of the 17 access points into Kilbogget Park was authorised by Chief Executive of Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council following the incident.