After five years of research, a book on the history of Ballinteer has been published.
‘Ballinteer Co. Dublin: A Local History from Rural to Suburban’ was produced by the history club of the Ballinteer Active Retirement Association’s (BARA).
The 400-page book focuses on the history of the area from 1700 to date.
The first print run came out last October, but now it’s back on shelves.
Information from the National Archives, the National Library, the Registry of Deeds and newspapers was used to give a clear picture of the district as a rural community.
The first housing development was in 1908 when the Council built a phase of the cottages in Taylor’s Grange.
The book was funded through local sponsorship and the BARA history groups own resources. It was compiled over several years.
The researchers from the BARA group are: Christy Byrne, John Colgan, Peadar Curran, Noel Doyle, Dermot Farry, Joe Fleming, Dermot Kavanagh, Tony Lynch, Sean Roche, Nick Ryan, and Sean Magee, who chairs the group, edited the book for publication.
Peadar Curran from the group told Dublin Gazette they have already started their next project.
“Our next project is for Ticknock and Kilmashogue. We’ve already started to gather information. We’d welcome any local stories, photographs of a local history nature.”
Anyone from these areas that would like to share any photos or stories can email to Peadar on email@example.com
‘Ballinteer Co. Dublin: A Local History from Rural to Suburban’ is available for €25 at Grange Stores on Harold’s Grange.