Council votes for 100% public housing on Oscar Traynor road site in Santry

by Gazette Reporter
housing

COUNCILLORS have endorsed a revised housing plan for Oscar Traynor Road in Santry which would see 100% of the land used for social, affordable and cost rental homes.

Dublin City Council chief Owen Keegan expressed “serious reservations” over members’ plans for one of the largest council-owned sites in the city.

Dublin City Council chief Owen Keegan

On Monday councillors approved a plan which would see 80% of the land used for social and cost rental housing, with 20% reserved for an affordable scheme.

After the vote Cllr Micheal Mac Donncha (SF) said: “The endorsement of this plan by the city council is an important step forward.

“The plan provides for social, cost rental and affordable homes for purchase in a well-planned development with community facilities.

“This plan can and will be delivered. As with any plan for public housing on public land it relies on central government for funding. If the political will is there the plan can become a reality.

“Over to you Minister for Housing Darragh O’Brien.”

Previous plans for 853 homes at the 17-acre site were shelved last November following the refusal of councillors to approve a deal with developer Glenveagh Homes.

The deal would have seen 50% of the homes sold privately by Glenveagh, 30% bought by the council for social housing and 20% sold to low- and middle-income workers qualifying for the upcoming affordable purchase scheme.

The new plan sees the number of social homes on the site increase to 40%, with another 40% used for an affordable or cost-rental scheme – where rent is linked to the cost of financing, building and managing the property.

The remaining 20% would still be available for affordable sales, but purchasers would have to offer the property back to the council if they were to move. No private sales would be included under the councillors’ plan.

Mr Keegan told councillors said he was concerned about their decision to scrap the previous agreement which had been approved by councillors in January 2017 following negotiations with the Minister for Housing.

“The management view is we have serious reservations, particular about the decision to have no private housing,” Mr Keegan said.

“We are walking away from an agreement that we made, that the executive spent four years bringing almost to successful conclusion, now we are reneging on that agreement we reached. I think that will have long term adverse implications for the city council.”

Related Articles