A two and a half acre site adjoining the Priory in Tallaght has gone on sale with a guide price of €5 million.
The lands, which are located in Tallaght Village, are predominantly within an area zoned Objective VC which means the objective is: ‘To protect, improve and provide for the future development of Village Centres.’
The rest of the 2.46 acre site is zoned objective “TC” which aims “to protect, improve and provide for the future development of town centres” as part of the South Dublin County Council Development Plan 2016-2022.
According to GVA Donal O Buachalla, the property company selling the site, a feasibility study indicates “the site’s potential in the delivery of a residential scheme comprising 204 apartments, or 618 student-bed spaces.”
The site is owned by the Dominican Order and is being sold of as part of their review of overall property holding.
The Dominicans have been in St Mary’s Priory since they bought it off Sir John Lentaigne in 1856.
The first friars lived in what is now the retreat house.
In May 1864 the foundation stone of the priory was laid and the Cardinal McCabe laid the foundation stone of the church in October 1882.
The wing connecting the church and tower was completed in 1903.
Another wing and a library block, which is now the headquarters of the Priory Institute, were completed in 1958.
The Dominicans offer individual counselling and psychotherapy for adults, children and families at the St Catherine’s Counselling Centre.
The proceeds of the site’s sale will be used to support this work and to provide for the ongoing medical and care needs of ageing members of the Dominican community.