A Baldoyle man living near Milan has put himself and his family into quarantine as the number of deaths from coronavirus in Italy continues to rise.
Vincent Healy, who has been living in the Lombardy region for a decade, says he plans to stay on lockdown with his wife, Paola, and their two young children for 14 days.
As of Tuesday, 260 people in Italy had been diagnosed with the virus and seven have died.
Now, 11 towns in the northern Italian province have been placed in a red zone, meaning residents are now confined to their homes.
Vincent’s village, which is about half an hour’s commute from Milan, is in a yellow zone, meaning it is “not particularly safe”.
He said: “We’re staying home and we’re doing what is sensible. Schools, universities, museums are all closed. There is nowhere to go, so you might as well stay home.”
Vincent said he and his family will stay home for 14 days and have not left the house since the weekend when they stockpiled supplies from the local supermarket.
He revealed: “We were doing a shop on Saturday morning, just like everybody does, and we just thought, ‘You know what, this could get much worse’.
“So we just bought lots of extra pasta and extra rice and a load of tinned goods that won’t go off. There’s not much to do, so we might as well stay at home and sit it out.”
The dad-of-two said he was lucky enough to be able to work from home once he has the internet, but he was aware of a small number of colleagues commuting to the office in Milan.
Vincent also revealed that he had not bought a face mask and was unlikely to be able to source one now, as he’d heard stories of panic-buying of medical supplies and groceries.
He said the government was doing a good job locking things down, and he hadn’t seen anyone from his village in several days.
He added: “The only way to spread it is contact, so the more we avoid people the better.
“I’ve no doubt cabin fever will be setting in soon, but we’re lucky enough to have a garden so the kids are out there playing away.”