A seafarer who was killed on Southbank Quay last week marks the third tragic death in Dublin Port in the past 18 months.

Dennis Gomez Regana, from The Philippines, was killed at work on November 14 after a shipping container struck him while he was lashing and securing cargo.

His death has led to SIPTU representatives calling for increased safety protocols and better protections for all dock and port workers.

SIPTU Ports, Docks and Harbour Organiser Jerry Brennan said: “SIPTU representatives have been campaigning with all stakeholders across Ireland and the UK over recent years to highlight our members’ concerns on lashing and securing.

“This tragedy in Dublin port, the third in 18 months, is ultimately the consequence of the relevant authorities, including ship owners, agents and operators not listening to or heeding our members’ warnings and implementing best practice.

“A Safe Pass Certificate similar to the one used in the Irish construction industry should … be put in place for all dock workers as a matter of urgency.

“We are calling on the Minister for Transport to meet with union representatives in order to ensure that these measures are introduced as a matter of urgency,” he said.