A man in his forties was found dead in the city centre earlier this week, marking the 27th death of a person sleeping on Ireland’s streets in the past 16 months.

The man’s body was discovered on Cook Street in Christchurch at around 8am on Tuesday morning, with Gardai appealing to the public for any information.

The cause of his death is not yet clear, with a post-mortem to be carried out.

According to leading homeless organisation Inner City Helping Homeless (ICHH), the man is believed to be the 27th person to die on the streets in the past 16 months.

According to the chief executive of ICHH, Anthony Flynn, the Dublin Regional Homeless Executive confirmed that the man – believed to be a Polish national named Michal – had been engaged with their services.

On Twitter, Flynn said: “The Dublin Regional Homeless Executive (DRHE) confirmed that the homeless Polish man had been accessing its ‘medical and homeless services’, but she could not say whether he had attempted to get shelter from the executive before his death.

“Was he refused access to shelter [on Monday night]? These questions need answering – [there’s] a lot of irregularities since last night … and the air of denial is deafening.”

In a Facebook statement, ICHH said: “We have continuously warned Minister [for Housing Eoghan] Murphy that deaths would be prevalent on street if additional resources including beds were not assigned to the crisis.

“The [housing] system is in turmoil and the DRHE are finding it difficult to implement the required number of beds and have failed to launch the Cold Winter initiative, to date.

“Last night, 145 people slept on our streets. We need an immediate emergency intervention.”

A vigil was held for the man on Tuesday night, with a number of his friends, locals and other Polish nationals leaving flowers and lighting candles at the site where the man was discovered.