Finglas woman affected by fire thanks family and strangers for support

by Rachel Darcy

A Finglas woman has said that the support of strangers, following a fire in her home last week, has been ‘brilliant’.

Victoria Deegan, who is mum to a 12-year-old and 3-year-old, but is also seven months pregnant with twins, lost everything in a blaze that ravaged the family home in Finglas on September 30.

As a result of the extensive damage, the young family – as well as Victoria’s partner and their dog, Buddy – have been forced to move in with family members nearby.

“We don’t know what caused it, they think it might have been electrical but [Dublin Fire Brigade] are still waiting for the report,” Victoria told Dublin Gazette.

“We’re living with my cousin at the minute, who lives a few minutes from the house – it was either this or a hotel. Luckily, we’ll be moving into a new home in the next week or so, so we won’t be homeless for long, but we’re still without all the things we lost.”

The family went viral on Facebook after Dublin Fire Brigade posted about the heroic rescue of the family dog, Buddy, by their crew. Victoria said that saving Buddy meant more to them than anything else in the trauma.

“We’re thankful that the Fire Brigade managed to rescue to the dog. It was one thing to lose all the clothes and everything, but if we’d lost the dog we would’ve been devastated, the kids wouldn’t have known what to do. He’s part of the family – we’ve had him for about seven years,” Victoria said.

Now, a family member has set up a GoFundMe for the family, to try and recoup the costs of replacing the items damaged in the fire.

“My sister-in-law was the one who set it up – I have no idea about any of those fundraising things – but my family have been putting in a couple of hundred euro, but a couple of strangers have donated money as well into it, that I don’t know, which is absolutely brilliant.

“I don’t know how these people get onto these pages and do these things, but it’s great to know that there’s support behind us.”

To donate to the GoFundMe to support Victoria’s family, visit https://www.gofundme.com/f/85r5cf-family-lost-everything-in-fire.

Related Articles