Fallon & Byrne ex staff reeling after shock Rathmines closure

by Rachel Darcy

Some former workers at Fallon & Byrne in Rathmines say they are still awaiting payment owed to them after the outlet abruptly shut its doors earlier this month.

The gourmet supermarket announced across its social media presence on January 2 that it would be closing the “loss-making” store at The Swan Centre.

Fallon & Byrne Rathmines originally opened in 2016, but bosses say they had to “act decisively” for what would be best for its overall business, which includes two other outlets – at Exchequer Street in the city centre, and in Dun Laoghaire.

The news was met with shock by many, including staff of the store and its internal restaurant.

Staff maintain that they were only told of the closure in a meeting on the same day the announcement was made on Instagram, despite operating as business as usual on New Year’s Day.

An email was sent to staff calling them to a meeting in a city centre hotel on January 2 where they were told the outlet would be closing immediately.

Staff who hadn’t checked their emails were unaware of the meeting and discovered that the outlet was closing through social media posts from the company.

In a statement to Dublin Gazette, a spokesperson for the company said: “Fallon & Byrne regrets the impact that the decision to close the loss-making Rathmines outlet has had on individual employees.

“Members of the Fallon & Byrne management team are in regular contact with staff representatives, as well as individual staff members affected by the closure, and are committed to supporting them during this difficult time.

“Redeployment opportunities to the Exchequer Street and Dun Laoghaire outlets are currently being explored, and team members are being supported in their search for new positions within the retail and hospitality sectors.

“Staff were informed of the decision to close the outlet on January 2 and an official consultation process commenced on that date.

“As per the statutory requirement, a letter informing the Minister of Employment and Affairs and Social Protection of this consultation process was also delivered on that day.

“All staff are being paid each week, and will continue to be paid, over the course of the 30-day consultation process.

“As per their contractual entitlement, they will be paid for their notice periods upon conclusion of that process and, in addition, any staff with two years’ service will receive a redundancy payment.”

Related Articles