The Chapelizod community came together recently to restore an old telephone box in the village, with locals delighted to help preserve part of the area’s heritage.
The telephone box, which is believed to be from 1925, was purchased from Eir last summer by the Chapelizod Old Village association in an effort to keep relics from years gone by alive.
In a joint project, Chapelizod Old Village association worked alongside Chapelizod Tidy Towns and the Chapelizod Heritage Society to try and restore the phone box to its former glory.
The phone box is located outside 30 Main Street in Chapelizod, outside a new cafe in the locale that is expected to open in the coming weeks.
The work on the box was completed by a local tradesman and a local electrician, whilst the Dunne family, who are originally from the local area, donated an original AB button-style telephone for installation into the phone box.
Mary Tiernan from the heritage society also donated an old telephone directory to the project, to ensure authenticity of the phone box.
The project cost just under €6,000 and was made possible through contributions from the Chapelizod Old Village association, Tidy Towns and the Heritage society, in addition to a grant provided to the groups from Dublin City Council.
On Saturday, residents of the west Dublin village gathered around the phone box as the newest resident to Chapelizod was introduced to the area – a barefoot mannequin, dressed to be placed inside the phone box as a permanent resident.
The lovely lady was moved into her new home in the phone box as a delighted crowd of representatives gathered around, taking pictures before the official ‘closing’ of the box took place.
The phonebox will be locked for public use, but is expected to remain illuminated as it solidifies its status as a local landmark.