Homeless man ‘stabbed 60 times, dumped in lane’, trial hears

by Gazette Reporter

A homeless man with addiction problems was found lying face down in a country lane with more than 60 stab wounds to his body, a murder trial has heard.

Sebastian Barczuk, 32, with an address at Briarwood Lawn, Mulhuddart, Dublin 15 has pleaded not guilty to murdering Polish national Michal Kurek, 33, at a place unknown within the State between August 3 and 4, 2017.

The court heard the deceased, Mr Kurek, was a Polish national and a homeless man, who had “addiction difficulties” and was living in Ireland for many years by the time of his death.

The prosecution said the two men had met when they were delivering leaflets together in 2011. They became good friends and had previously lived together at two different addresses.

Mr Kurek’s body was found in the gateway at the side of a country lane in Ballyboughal on August 4, 2017. There was no sign of life and he was lying face down in blood-stained clothes.

The court heard he had suffered more than 60 stab wounds and there was blunt force trauma to his head.

Michal Kurek’s body was found in north Dublin. Picture: An Garda Síochána

Records for the deceased’s phone showed he had used cell sites around Clonsilla on August 3 and he was in contact with Mr Barczuk.

Gardaí obtained 34 days of data in relation to the accused’s man phone and found that his phone had also used a cell site in Ballyboughal at 00.53.

Michael Madigan told the court he was cycling by a quiet country road called the Grange in Ballyboughal on the morning of August 4 when he noticed out of the corner of his eye a “colour” in the ditch.

Mr Madigan said the man’s body was a metre in from the road side and his jeans were half-way down, exposing his underpants.

The witness said he called gardaí around 11am that morning and told them he had found a dead body.

Mr Madigan said gardai asked him if he was sure the man was dead as there had been reports of “drunks” walking around the area.

“I pushed his shoulder and it was very obvious he was dead,” he said.

The trial continues before Mr Justice Tony Hunt and a jury of seven men and five women and is expected to last between three and four weeks.

Related Articles