Taoiseach Micheál Martin has said the government wants to progress with an attitude of keeping new areas that open up going rather than reverting to ‘start-stop’ periods as happened previously in the last year during the Covid-19 pandemic.
When asked how they were approaching the June-July time in terms of opening up outside and inside dining among other things, Mr Martin said his administration would continue to follow the science, stressing that the outdoor theme is critical as distinct from indoor activity.
Speaking on RTÉ’s The Week in Politics, He told Aine Lawlor that the government would be looking at retail, hairdressers, religious services as well as adult sport training in the coming days. He pointed out that a formal announcement would be made on Thursday after cabinet discussion. He said he was keenly aware of the importance of relaxing the area to allow adult sport from the point of view of mental health.
Fron this Monday (April 26) there would be further easing of restrictions for young people training in pods of 15 or less and playing while outdoor sports facilities such as golf courses and tennis courts could also open for business as well as zoos and heritage sites.
There is also an increase people attending a funeral from 10 to 25.
Stressing that April had been good, but warned “anything we open from now on, we want to keep open.”