A serious assault on the Red Line Luas earlier this month captured on a viral video has led to calls for increased security.

The video shows a man attacking another man and repeatedly kicking him in the head on a Luas tram on Saturday 13th July.

Speaking last Friday after the video went viral, Dublin South West TD John Lahart said:

“This is yet another example of how violence and anti-social behaviour on our public transport network is becoming the norm.

“I, and my party, have been consistent in our calls for a dedicated Garda Transport Unit.

“There is no other way to deal with both the level and viciousness of this behaviour in my view.”

The Dublin South West TD said incidents like those seen on the video and other types of dangerous unruly behaviour are becoming more common on public transport services throughout Dublin.

“The Government must get involved and stop deferring to the transport companies,” he said.

“The type of anti-social behaviour requires a level of activity that only sworn officers of An Garda Síochána can provide.  

“Private security firms do not have the necessary authority or powers to tackle these on-going issues. 

“The safety and security of passengers and staff must be paramount and it’s clear that to achieve that requires more comprehensive laws.

“Fianna Fáil has been pushing for the establishment of a dedicated unit of transport police in Dublin for years to properly enforce laws across public transport services in Dublin.

“This attack was, to my mind, just another sad reminder that travelling on our city’s public transport network is not as safe as it should, and could, be.

“It’s time for the Gardaí to establish a dedicated Public Transport Unit and take back our buses, trains and Luases from these thugs,” concluded Lahart.