The Lord Mayor of Dublin, Hazel Chu, has made the following statement on the death of Jack Chartlon:
“We have lost a true legend today, a giant of Irish sport.
On behalf of all the citizens of our city I would like to extend my condolences to Jack’s family and friends.
Jack wasn’t just a football manager, he was the inspiration for an entire country. Not many people can say they left a legacy like that behind them.
Anyone who remembers Euro 88, Italia 90, and USA 94 will always think of him fondly. They were special times and Big Jack was a special man. In 1994 he was awarded the Freedom of the City of Dublin an honour that was so richly deserved.
Jack Charlton may have been English by birth, but he will always have a special place in the hearts of the people of Dublin and Ireland.
Rest in peace Jack and thank you.
- €213m to be spent on homeless services next year in Dublin
- ICA showing bags of support for kids with cancer to store beads of courage
- James Hendicott: Music Industry to suffer collapse after successful 2019?
- Gannon ambitious to kick on with Tennessee tennis scholarship
- Young Rathfarnham baker displays her talents in competition