An Garda Síochána, the HSE and The Department of Health are warning the public to be aware of potential scams relating to the Covid-19 vaccine.
In recent days, An Garda Síochána have been made aware of members of the public having received fraudulent text messages and calls regarding the vaccination.
The text messages received have made requests for people to confirm private and sensitive information such as PPS number, date of birth and address.
Other people have received phone calls requesting they make an appointment for a COVID-19 vaccine jab at a random hospital. In most cases, the person receiving the call will say they are not in a position to travel to the hospital.
This then allows the caller to extract further personal details from the individual they have contacted. Some individuals might confirm that they live alone or reveal their home address, and the caller will then offer to come to their home to administer a vaccine.
- North Dublin businesses can go green with two new schemes
- Man arrested and €110,000 worth of cannabis seized in Ballinteer
- Broadstone bus depot reopens following €15million revamp
- Security guard who downloaded child abuse images facing jail time
- Man jailed for late night violent robbery of drunk man
The HSE have advised that they will never text or call individuals requesting personal information, and they will never request payment for a Covid test or Vaccine.
Your local GP will be the first point of contact about vaccination or Covid testing. The Covid-19 vaccine is free and it is not available privately.
Gardai have asked that the public make contact with any vulnerable friends or family to make them aware of these fraudulent calls and text messages.
They have also issued the following tips and advice:
- Do not give out your PPS Number to anyone who makes unsolicited contact with you whether by phone or email. The HSE will never call or text you and ask for your PPS number
- The HSE will never call you to request your home address
- Never give away personal data or disclose who you may live with or if you live alone
- The HSE will never request payment for a Covid test or vaccine
- If you receive such a call, just hang up
- Anyone who mistakenly provides personal information in response to this scam should contact report the matter to their local Garda Station
- If you have questions or concerns relating to Covid testing or vaccination, contact your local GP