Three unregistered Sushi takeaway restaurants run from the bedroom of a house in Santry were ordered to close by the Food Safety Authority of Ireland.
Koi Sushi, Nagoya Sushi and Kyoto Sushi – which promoted their services on Instagram – were all listed to the same address and were served with closure orders after the FSAI found them in breach of food safety laws.
FSAI chief executive Dr Pamela Byrne said the conditions in which the high-risk raw fish and rice products were being stored “posed a grave and immediate danger” to consumer health.
She said: “Running a food business that has not been registered and is therefore, not supervised is totally unacceptable and poses a very serious risk to consumers’ health.
“In these instances, the unregistered businesses were producing sushi without any hygiene or temperature controls.
“Sushi is a very high-risk product because it contains raw fish which must be kept chilled to reduce the growth of dangerous bacteria. It can also contain cooked rice, which is a ready-to-eat product that must be kept chilled.
“In these instances, the absence of a food safety management system, no monitoring of the cold chain and no evidence of traceability of raw ingredients posed a grave and immediate danger to consumer health.”
The FSAI closure orders on the premises detail how food was being produced, processed and distributed in an unsatisfactory and unclean environment.
There was an absence of safe practice when handling raw fish and cooked rice, it says, with the enforcement order noting a lack of access to hand washing facilities in the ‘food prep’ area.
There was also no access to hot water, which posed “a serious risk to public health”.
There were five businesses served with closure orders in total in October. In one instance a live rat was observed running across a rear wall.