LDA publishes emerging designs for 700 social and affordable homes in Dublin City

by Kim O Leary

By Kim O’Leary

The Land Development Agency (LDA) has this week launched the design proposals and second phase of consultation for the Donore Project on the site of the former St. Teresa’s Gardens complex in Dolphin’s Barn. 

The emerging designs are being consulted on for the Donore project which will seek to provide 700 social and affordable homes in the heart of Dublin 8.  The LDA is developing plans for the Donore Project on behalf of Dublin City Council (DCC) who own the site.  

The Donore Project is being proposed in the context of a joint Masterplan which was prepared by DCC in conjunction with developers Hines, who are developing adjoining sites. 

The new development is proposed to comprise of approximately 700 homes, approximately 30% of these will be social housing, the other 70% will be cost rental accommodation.  There will be a mix of home types and sizes across the development. 

The Donore Project will deliver a sustainable urban community and provide a range of homes for people at all stages of life, and for different household sizes. 

The emerging design for the Donore Project contains four buildings, which range in height from 2 to 22 stories.  This is in keeping with the DCC Masterplan for the area and ensures an efficient use of the Council’s lands in this established residential neighbourhood in a highly sustainable location.

The new development will be well connected to public transport, with a range of bus and LUAS connections within a 10-minute walking radius of the site.  The development is also well served by existing services and amenities, including schools, retail options, medical facilities and community infrastructure. 

The LDA has already completed its first phase of consultation which saw engagement with local residents’ associations, community groups and public representatives.  A Community Liaison Team was appointed and they conducted surveys in the local community.  

The feedback from the first phase has fed into the outline designs which are being presented in this second phase.  The key themes which emerged in Phase One were ‘Connection and Integration’ and ‘Identity and Character.’   Stakeholders overwhelmingly wanted to see the development of a ‘Sustainable Urban Community.’

The Second Phase of Public Consultation to consider the emerging concept designs will run from May 28 until July 2.  The consultation will include meetings with residents’ associations, community groups and public representatives, and there will also be two public webinars at which members of the public can ask questions about the project and the concept designs.

The feedback from this Second Phase of consultation will inform the design for the Donore Project which will be presented in September / October 2021.   

Dave Dinnigan, Director of Housing Delivery with Dublin City Council, said: We are delighted to be progressing this exciting project for Dublin City Council in the heart of the capital city.  There is high demand for a range of housing options in the City and this development will be perfect for people of all ages who want to live and work in the heart of Dublin.”

Dearbhla Lawson, Head of Strategic Planning with the LDA, said: “The emerging design envisages a community which is integrated with the established neighbourhood.  The proposed development would create a network of new streets and public places, opening up amenities for new and existing residents of Donore. Sustainability will be at the heart of the proposed development.”

The public webinars are open to everyone.  Registration for these webinars is available on www.donoreproject.ie and Webinar 1 will take place on Wednesday 2 June 19.00-20.30 and Webinar 2 on Wednesday 9 June 19.00-20.30

Related Articles