Bulloch Harbour, Dalkey. Picture: Google Maps

DUN Laoghaire Rathdown County Council have been urged to reject the latest plans for Bulloch Harbour.

 

Councillor Michael Merrigan (Ind) has called on council planners to reject the current planning application for a mixed use development on the historic harbour pier.

 

Councillor Merrigan said he had considered in detail the planning application, drawings and reports lodged by the applicant with Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council.

 

The original plans were rejected in February last year after almost 300 residents lodged complaints about the proposal.

 

Cllr Merrigan said: “The current development proposal submitted to the planning authority is inappropriate for Bullock Harbour.

 

“It fails to address, the unique sense of place and maritime heritage and character of the area, which needs to be protected and sensitively enhanced as a coastal amenity.

 

“As a local county councillor for the area I am disappointed that no progress has been made on a master plan for the harbour.”

 

Cllr Merrigan said he had a number of concerns over the new plan.

 

He said that it was an inappropriate development for the area and added that it would have a negative impact on the existing fishing boat hire services.

 

He added that there was no evidence of consent from Dublin Port Authority, which has overall responsibility for the harbour and that there had been a lack of engagement with local residents and community groups.

 

“I am calling for the council to commence a process of engagement in order to prepare a draft master plan for the harbour in accordance with the County Development Plan,” he said.

 

Members of the public can view the proposals at the council’s planning office between 10.00 – 16.00 Monday to Friday – free of charge – Reference D17A/1135.

 

The deadline for submissions is February 5.

 

A spokesperson for Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council said that the council does not comment on any comments made by individual councillors.