Man jailed for threat to kill ‘after I’ve finished my pizza’

by Dublin Gazette

[vc_row][vc_column width=”2/3″][vc_column_text]A man who told a shop security guard he would come back to kill him once he had finished his pizza, has been jailed for two and half years.

Matthew Ellis (38), of Tir Connell Rd, Inchicore, told Patrick Collins he knew what time he finished his shift and he would come back to the shop once he had eaten a pizza he had just bought.

Dublin Circuit Criminal Court heard at a sentence hearing last October, that Ellis said: “You think I’m done with you. I’m gonna eat my pizza and then I’ll be back.”

Eilis had threatened the victim earlier in the day and returned around 9pm. He was holding bullets between his teeth when he returned and showed these to the security guard, the court heard.

He called the victim a “Garda informer”, and shouted: “You finish at ten o’clock. I own Inchicore. I’m gonna kill you.”

Gardai were called and stopped Ellis and the five bullets fell from him. He told them the bullets were for “a BB gun”.

Ellis pleaded guilty to making a threat to kill or cause serious harm at Spa Road, Inchicore on October 26, 2017. He has been in custody since that date.

He has 71 previous convictions, including for assault, burglary, possession of knives, drug dealing and robbery, Garda David Sharkey told the court.

David Staunton BL, defending, said his client was drunk when he showed up at the shop.
He said the men didn’t know each other but there was perhaps a perceived slight about being refused entry into the shop.

He said Ellis, a father-of-four, had had a difficult past and a history of drug addiction.
The court heard the victim had only been in the job a few days and ended up leaving the work after the threats.

Mr Staunton said Ellis was in drug treatment. He asked for an adjournment so Ellis’s family could put together €5,000 in compensation for the victim.

Judge Melanie Greally had adjourned sentencing after hearing evidence last October.

Mr Staunton confirmed that his family had “managed to cobble together €5,000” which he said was indicative of the family support his client enjoys.

Judge Greally sentenced Ellis to three and a half years in prison, with the final 12 months suspended.

She had taken into account Ellis’s plea of guilty and genuine remorse for his actions, and “his poor physical health and fragile mental health”.

Judge Greally accepted that Ellis had “previously made genuine efforts to stay off drugs”.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/3″][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Related Articles