Taxi driver who sexually assaulted three women had licence revoked

by Padraig Conlon

A taxi driver who sexually assaulted three young women within two weeks has had his case adjourned for a second time, as a previously ordered psychological report has not been completed.

Mansoor Uddin (41), a married father of three, of Castleway, Adamstown, Lucan, pleaded guilty on the morning of his trial last February at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to sexual assault on January 30, 2016 and two sexual assaults on February 16, 2016.

At a sentence hearing last month the court heard that as part of his bail conditions a female passenger was not permitted to be a front seat passenger in Uddin’s taxi.

Seamus Clarke SC, defending, indicated that there had been a lot of media attention surrounding the case in April and this has had huge repercussions on Uddin’s family.

He said he wished to clarify the position in relation to his client’s bail and told the court that Uddin’s license was revoked following his guilty plea in February.

“The reality is that his bail condition was that if he had a single passenger they had to sit in the back of the vehicle. Once he pleaded guilty his license was revoked,”

Mr Clarke told Judge Sinéad Ní Chulacháin before he said that Uddin had not actually worked as a taxi driver since November last year.

Counsel said as part of his bail conditions Uddin was also subject to a curfew which meant that he wasn’t permitted to work as a taxi driver at night time.

He said the gardaí policed Uddin while on bail and the bail conditions had been put in place by the High Court.

Mr Clarke told the judge that the case had been adjourned last month to allow for the preparation of a psychological report after a direct evidence was heard.

He said he was due to address the court on the adjourned date (Wednesday 8th) when he would have dealt with the issues of his bail conditions and the revocation of his license.

Judge Ní Chulacháin agreed to the adjournment after Mr Clarke indicated that the psychological service wish to carry out one further assessment on Uddin before a report is prepared.

She remanded Uddin on continuing bail to May 20 next to allow for the assessment.

The judge said she was “taken aback” that the report was not ready and she couldn’t understand the delay.

Related Articles