An armed robber chased by a shop owner wielding a step ladder has been jailed for four years.
Jamie O’Rourke, 26, fled the Centra store in Swords and went on to rob a tanning salon of €150 in cash, Dublin Circuit Criminal Court heard.
He was caught a short time later after armed Gardaí tasered him and followed the taser wire to a bush he was hiding in. He was armed with a knife.
- Enjoy a Christmas Get-Together at the Talbot Hotel Stillorgan*
- O’Flanagan Dares to Believe once again as Tokyo comes into view
- Council to axe and replace 63 trees in Donabate in coming weeks
- TV thrown off balcony landed on woman walking below
- Beaming baby Nora inspires €111,000 charity boost
O’Rourke, with an address in St Cronan’s Way, Swords, later told gardaí he had no memory of the incident because he had taken heroin that day.
He pleaded guilty to one count of attempting to rob the Centra store at River Valley, Swords, and one count of robbing the Tanning Salon, Swords on August 26, 2019. He has been in custody since that date.
He has 36 previous convictions, including for robbery and attempted robbery.
Judge Patricia Ryan noted O’Rourke had several convictions for robbery. The court heard he was on a suspended sentence at the time of the offences.
She handed down a five-year sentence and suspended the final year on a number of conditions.