A man who slashed the face of an acquaintance and partially severed his ear lobe in a “gruesome” attack has been jailed for three-and-a-half years.
Portuguese national Sandro Teixeira knifed Ismail Mustafa without warning, leaving a 10 centimetre wound that required plastic surgery, Dublin Circuit Criminal Court heard.
Teixeira (30) with an address in North Circular Road, Phibsborough was initially charged with assault causing serious harm, but pleaded guilty on the first day of his trial last March to the lesser charge of assault causing harm.
The attack took place at Parkgate Street on January 22, 2018.
- Council to spend more than €420k to clean the Spire
- Dublin City Council warns of staff shortage due to virus
- Animal charity faces closure over struggle with €90,000 debt
- Balbriggan boost as council purchases derelict units
- 2020 DLR County Business Awards: Survive and Thrive!
The court heard that the victim ran into Teixeira in the street and the pair got chatting on the Luas.
When they got off, Teixeira asked Mr Mustafa to walk with him towards the Aisling Hotel. He then produced a knife and assaulted Mr Mustafa without warning.
Gardaí identified Teixeria from Luas CCTV footage and he was arrested.
Sentencing him , Judge Karen O’Connor said it was a “horrific attack on a man who has been left with a significant scar and a partially severed ear lobe”.