Tyrrelstown student climbs Mount Everest Basecamp

by Rose Barrett
0 comment

Rose Barrett

Arya Tati (15) was born and reared in Tyrrelstown, Dublin 15, and has recently climbed Mount Everest Basecamp.

Along with his father Srikanth Tati, the pair made the arduous climb facing incredible physical challenges, extreme weather conditions and above all, the teen and his dad faced serious mental endurance. 

Srikanth and his wife Bhumika originally settled in the suburbs of D15, with Shreya (born in 2002) and Arya arriving in 2007. 

Despite being born 90 days prematurely, Arya thrived quickly and went on to attend St Luke‘s Primary School, Tyrrelstown till 2013 before the family moved moved to Dubai, UAE. 

A young Arya, an avid hurler during his childhood in Dublin

“As a child, he took interest in hurling and chess at Tyrrelstown Community Centre and learnt swimming at Clonsilla Community Centre, and was a passionate Indian dancer” said Srikanth. “He was a passionate dancer.

His sister Shreya got Arya interested in both climbing and Lego. In June 2017 Arya built the Taj Mahal in Lego (5,923 pieces) and the same year, he completed Mill Falcon/Star Wars (7,541 pieces).

Shreya herself hiked to Mount Kilimanjaro in 2019 – another family member with resilience and passion! In 2013, the family moved to Dubai and there, Arya participated in ‘Iron Kids 2019’.

“Embarking on a journey to Everest Base Camp had always been a dream of mine,” said Ayra. “The majestic Himalayas’ allure, the Khumbu region’s unparalleled beauty  I was enthralled.”

The trek was to last around 13 days in May but bad weather and flight delays caused them to be delayed a day.

Arya on completed the Taj Mahal in Lego

“The first day climbing was easy, as we reached the official “gates of Everest.” If the first day was easy, the second was not.  

“A whopping 150-metre incline for the tallest bridge! The Edmund Hillary bridge was a sight to see, with amazing views. But getting there took a toll on my legs. It was one of the toughest days of the trek, 800 metres of total elevation that day.”

It was Day 9 that really challenged the Irish born youngster.

“We stopped for lunch but at this height, I could feel the loss of appetite. I forced myself to eat. A giant hill lay ahead, close to 500m of pure elevation and little oxygen compared to the mainland. The distance from the hill and our teahouse for dinner was only 3km away, but it took us almost four and a half hours to get there.”

Yak Attack!

“I doubted my strength there, but I persevered. Day 10 arrived – base camp! Three and a half hours in, disaster struck. The scariest part of the whole trip happened – jaffas – 20 big yaks inching towards us, on the most narrow trail of the trip!

“One side was a steep cliff to death, and the other was a steeply inclined hill without any step. I tried grabbing onto the side of the hill and pulled myself up to get out of the way – until the last jaffa almost charged at me!

“Satya, my saviour, pulled me up just moments before, averting a major incident. That shook me but we still had another six hours of trekking to go after lunch!

“The trek to base camp was easier and super exciting. We made it, and the view was simply glorious!  We took many pictures of ourselves and I was super proud of myself. Unfortunately, my journey had come to an end. I made the mistake of taking off my cap for the photos. I got a terrible migraine and with the onset of AMS, my adventure was over.”

Related Articles