Irish Radio & Television presenter and Children’s Health Foundation Ambassador Anton Savage helped launch the 2024 Route 66 Motorcycle Challenge with our road captains and 3 very special Children’s Health Ireland (CHI) patients outside CHI at Temple Street.
This bi-annual event has been running since 2002 and has seen our bikers and pillions cover over 950,000 miles and raise over €5 million which has helped transform the lives of thousands of sick children across Ireland.
The trip departs in September 2024 and the funds raised from the challenge will support sick children across CHI at Crumlin, Temple Street, Tallaght and Connolly.
Route 66 remains one of the world’s most famous roads – a symbol of freedom and a mythologised landmark calling out to adventurous spirits the world over. The original Route 66 was closed in 1985 but since then the call of the road from Chicago to California hasn’t dimmed – and come September 2024 Irish men and women will traverse the continental United States, tracing the route of the old road in aid of the Children’s Health Foundation.
Speaking at the launch of the Route 66 Motorcycle challenge, Ambassador Anton Savage said, “I am delighted to be here today to help launch this amazing fundraising challenge. It is wonderful to be involved in this event and to support Children’s Health Foundation– which will raise funds to support sick children right across Children’s Health Ireland’s hospitals and urgent care centres.”
Commenting on the launch Hugh Kane, Interim Chief Executive of Children’s Health Foundation says, “We are so excited to launch the 2024 Route 66 Motorcycle Challenge and on behalf of the staff and families in CHI at Crumlin, Temple Street, Tallaght & Connolly, we would like to express our deepest gratitude to our ambassador Anton Savage, and to all our 66er’s for raising the vital funds to help give every sick child every possible chance.
When you have a sick child in hospital, it is so important to know that they are getting the world-class treatment they deserve. Here in Children’s Health Foundation, we are committed to supporting the expert care that the frontline teams in CHI give to sick children and their families every single moment of every single day. We are calling on bikers from across the country to join team Children’s Health Foundation and Anton on this once in a lifetime trip and raise vital funds for sick children along the way!”
- Children’s Health Foundation Ambassador Anton Savage launches the 2024 Route 66 Motorcycle Challenge which will raise vital funds for sick children in Children’s Health Ireland at Crumlin, Temple Street, Tallaght and Connolly
- The Route 66 Motorcycle Challenge will see a team of bikers and pillions take to the road – including Irish radio and television presenter Anton Savage and we want you to join them!
- This bi-annual tradition has seen the Route 66 Motorcycle Challenge cover over 950,000 miles and raise more than €5 million for sick children since 2002.
- In September 2024, over 90 bikers, pillions & support will depart Illinois, Chicago and hit the open road for 14 days, travelling through nine states and four different time zones, from Illinois through Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and finally California, with a LAPD escort onto Santa Monica Pier!
- Find out more about the challenge at – www.childrenshealth.ie/route-66/
- Revised LRD application for 1020 homes and nature park in Donabate
- Dáil abuse and verbal attacks intolerable and intimidating with 13 arrests made
- Five deaths on Irish roads this weekend including motorcycle fatality in Tallaght
- ‘Life in Ireland and Fingal’ theme for Festival of History
- Driveyou.ie car and van sharing announces 12 new locations in Fingal