Poetry will be the beating heart of community life in 20 Poetry Towns across the island of Ireland this September.
Towns and communities across Ireland are to be celebrated in a new Poetry Ireland initiative. Poetry Town will see more than a hundred free, poetry-related activities take place in 20 towns across the island of Ireland between 10th and 18th September 2021.
The people and communities of each Poetry Town will celebrate poetry in their everyday lives and surroundings, create communal experiences, and celebrate the pride, strength and diversity of each town. Watch this space for more, including the announcement of each town’s Poet Laureate in mid-August, and upcoming details on events.
Poetry Town is an initiative of Poetry Ireland in partnership with Local Authority Arts Offices and is made possible with funding from the Arts Council of Ireland’s Open Call funding, and is also supported by the Arts Council of Northern Ireland.
A Poet Laureate will be appointed for each town, and commissioned to write a poem honouring and reflecting the town and its people. Each town poem will be revealed at a local flagship Poetry Town event between 10-18 September 2021.
Other events and initiatives will be unveiled later in the summer but are set to include schools competitions and workshops, beginner poetry workshops for adults, physically active events (under the theme of Poems that Move You), beautiful printed Pocket Poems, available to take away from local coffee shops and pharmacies, and much more.
To find out more, visit www.poetrytown.ie
- Airfield Estate, Dublin’s Only Urban Farm and Gardens Launch “World of Soil” Experience
- Dublin City Council unveiled a plaque to Seosamh Mac Grianna in St Anne’s Park
- Eau Thermale Avène launches its new tinted fluid SPF50+ and after-sun restorative lotion
- Dublin members of Transplant Team Ireland receives warm welcome at Australian Embassy event
- Four Dublin entries awarded at .IE Digital Town Awards 2023