Locals rally in bid to thwart new harold’s cross school

by Dublin Gazette
0 comment
Harolds Cross Greyhound Stadium

Locals are appealing against Dublin City Council’s decision to grant planning permission for a temporary school building at the site of the former Harold’s Cross greyhound stadium.

A planning application was initially lodged last December, with a decision being made by the council in April.

According to documents lodged with An Bord Pleanala on May 14, the Department of Education are seeking permission to build a temporary two-storey, 12-classroom primary school building. Several appeals were lodged on May 18 by those opposed to the development.

In one such appeal, the Leinster Place Residents’ Association said: “We object strenuously to this aspect of the plan on the basis that this is wholly unacceptable, due to the limited capacity of the footpaths and roads leading into Grosvenor Lane, and the disproportionately negative impact this will have on the residents of Leinster Place.”

The former racing track is said to be ear-marked for a much larger school development by the Department, with it expected that the Department will eventually build a 1,000-pupil secondary school and a 24-classroom primary school on the Harold’s Cross site.

As well as the school building itself, there are also plans for ‘hard and soft’ play areas, an ‘internal vehicular turning circle’, bike and scooter parking.

A pedestrian entrance gate is proposed for Grosvenor Road, in addition to the main entrance on Harold’s Cross road.

The school is being planned so it is car-free, with little to no on-site parking for staff or parents. It is expected to house up to 360 pupils. The temporary permission is being sought for five years.

The site was sold to the Department of Education last year by the semi-state Irish Greyhound Board (IGB) with a price tag of €23m, after IGB received consent from the Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine, Michael Creed.

The stadium was closed with immediate effect in February, 2017 as part of IGB’s strategy to reduce a multi-million-euro debt.

Dublin City Council granted permission for the development in April under several conditions, but the decision is now being appealed by several locals to An Bord Pleanala.

A decision on the site’s future is due to be made by the Bord by September 17.

 

Related Articles