Dons Dublin: Liffey Bridges

by Gazette Reporter
0 comment

The River Liffey makes its way on a 125-kilometre journey to Dublin Bay flowing under many bridges, each with colourful and interesting histories.

Bridges have been built over the river long before records began. The earliest crossing points were mere fords and these were subsequently replaced by bridges. Old bridges were often damaged, some even swept away in floods, and these were then replaced by newer, more stable structures. The oldest is Anna Livia Bridge at Chapelizod which was completed in 1753. The name was bestowed on it in 1982, the 100th anniversary of James Joyce’s birth, as this is how he refers to the Liffey in his late, great work Finnegans Wake.

Read more in this weeks Dublin Gazette out in stores now

Within the city limits, the oldest bridge is Mellows Bridge (Queen St to Bridgefoot St) dating from 1768. It was originally called Queen’s Bridge (after Queen Charlotte, wife of George III), but was renamed in 1942 in honour of Liam Mellows.

The Rosie Hackett Bridge (Marlborough St to Hawkins St) is the only one named after a woman, the former trade union activist who played a part in the 1913 Lockout and the 1916 Easter Rising. However, Island Bridge (1792) was for 130 years known as Sarah’s Bridge until the name was changed in 1922. Sarah Fane, Countess of Westmorland, was the wife of the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, and its beauty was compared to the Rialto in Venice. It was a popular spot with both sightseers and artists.

The James Joyce and Samuel Beckett Bridges, both designed by the internationally acclaimed architect Santiago Calatrava, are white, steel and the most modern of bridges. ‘Sam’ also opens to allow ships pass, an impressive sight if you get a chance to see it. And, like its older neighbours, doing an important job that Dubliners appreciate, even if not always crossing their minds.

Click on link to read more in this weeks Digital Edition

Related Articles