Delay in funds for shared sports facilities in Kilbogget Park

by Gary Ibbotson
0 comment

Plans to construct shared sporting facilities at Kilbogget Park have been delayed, local councillors said at the recent monthly meeting.

Cabinteely Athletic Club, Cabinteely Football Club, Foxrock Cabinteely GAA Club and Seapoint Rugby Football Club have all agreed to co-operate and inhabit shared facilities at the park.

However, due to a lack of funds, these plans have been delayed.

Local councillor and Cathaoirleach, Ossian Smyth says that the four clubs have been working together since 2016 in an attempt to push the project forward.

“DLR council wants sports clubs to share facilities in future. There are four great clubs with more than 2,000 members between them that have agreed to work together to develop a shared club in Kilbogget,” says Smyth.

“The Council Parks department and the Council architects have drawn up beautiful plans. There is a lot of enthusiasm that these plans will not just help the club members, but also enhance the park and get rid of the shipping containers that clubs have had to use up to now.”

Councillor Cormac Devlin says that the proposal has been in discussion “for a very long time, at least 10 years.”

“The only problem is money,” Smyth says.

“This is a multi-million euro scheme and needs significant public funding. There are other sports projects in the county competing for the council’s funds – like the new swimming pools planned for Ballyogan and Glenalbyn.

“The clubs began to worry that they were not being favoured by the council for support.”

A statement made by the sports clubs to the Dublin Gazette says that while they welcome the council support, they are happy with the current progress of the project.

“The discussions are entirely preliminary in terms of ideas and suggestions,” reads the statement.

A group of volunteers have been exploring “any potential opportunities that may exist for additional new sports facilities to be established in Kilbogget Park at some point in the future.

“There have been no conclusions reached and no construction process is currently being considered, so there is nothing being either delayed or progressed on any immediate basis.

“The clubs are continuing their regular and ongoing interaction with each other and with the County Council.

“The recent submissions and discussions in the Council were simply to get a level of clarification on the status of the Council’s future support for the clubs in general terms and this process was overall reassuring.”

The council had previously indicated that they would be applying for the Large Scale Sport Infrastructure Fund (LSSIF) but with other projects also potentially in line for the subsidy, it is unclear as to what gets priority or if more than one project can qualify for the scheme.

At the April council meeting, a motion was passed to explore all possible sources for funding for the project. This includes seeking Lottery Funding and sports capital grants from the Department of Sport.


Related Articles