Hundreds of workers gathered on O’Connell Street on Monday in an event organised by the Irish Congress of Trade Unions, to show their solidarity with workers and businesses in the capital and to clearly denounce the violence and riotous behaviour of last week.
General Secretary Owen Reidy said, ‘We want to express our solidarity with the children and care worker attacked in Parnell Square last week. Our thoughts are with them and their families at this traumatic time and we sincerely hope they all recover from this awful event. We also express our solidarity with the school concerned and all its staff, pupils and families.
We condemn in the strongest terms the unacceptable and outrageous thuggery witnessed on the streets of our capital city last week. We pay tribute to our wonderful Garda, firefighters, ambulance personnel, local authority workers and our transport workers in how they have responded. They are an example of public service. No worker should be in harm’s way when called to work and they clearly were’.
Pictures Tommy Clancy
- Regulator needed to implement MUD Act, claim default home owners
- Credit Unions to take on banks and lend more to the community
- Council to deliver 400 new private houses to market
- Dublin schools acknowledged for LGBTQ+ inclusion
- First ever group of Hairdressing Apprentices Graduated and showcase their skills at Dublin Capstone Event