‘Belonging | Muintearas’ is the overall festival theme this year for Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown Festival with activities and events having commenced on Saturday September 16 to run until Sunday October 8, 2023. ..
Speaking at the launch of the dlr Festival of IIclusion, Cathaoirleach of Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council, Councillor Denis O’Callaghan said: “Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council are extremely proud to be hosting the annual dlr Festival of Inclusion 2023 and promoting ‘Belonging | Muintearas’ during the many festival events taking place over the coming weeks. I would encourage you all to get involved, take part and enjoy the variety of activities planned and I look forward to attending events during dlr Festival of Inclusion and experiencing the many diverse communities and cultures that make up our beautiful county”.
Some highlights of the event include:
- India Fest (Saturday 19) to celebrate Indian culture, music, dance and food in Kilbogget Park;
- The IADT Human Library where real people become books;
- The Big Sing with Newpark Community Concert Orchestra and Community Choirs;
- Culinary Connections – Sharing our tastes and traditions;
- The Mincéirí Traveller Cabaret performances;
- The Women 4 Women multicultural women’s breakfast;
- Drag and Draw – an art class with a difference!;
- Events to celebrate UN International Day of Older Persons and free Gaelic football, camogie and hurling sessions & ‘Na Réaltaí’ fun GAA sessions for children with additional needs;
- Let’s Talk Climate’, Free Climate Action training and a trip to Fernhill Park to name but a few.
You can see the full list of events here
Frank Curran, CE DLR highlighted: “The diversity of activities and events programmed for this year’s festival to promote Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown as a county of belonging and sanctuary, welcoming all and celebrating diversity and inclusion in the community.
“We want to sincerely thank the many community groups and organisations that are running events during the festival with ‘Belonging | Muintearas’ celebrated through music, song, dance, drama, food, conversation, talks, training, arts, crafts and sports and we hope that many networks and friendships are forged during dlr Festival of Inclusion 2023.”
The aim of the annual dlr Festival of Inclusion is to highlight and celebrate social inclusion initiatives and to support and encourage all to actively participate and engage in the community. This community based social inclusion events programme showcases the many groups and organisations bringing people together to connect and celebrate community well-being and raise awareness, provide supports and promote belonging, social inclusion and diversity in dlr.
DLRl is delighted to support dozens of organisations and community groups in hosting activities and events which also include open days; free training webinars open to the public; DLR Social Prescribing for Health & Wellbeing and dlr Sports Partnership events; Dementia Information Hub; textile and crafts workshops, music and cultural performances; coffee mornings; Tea Dances; Dublin South FM ‘Voices of Belonging’ programme; Garda Older Person’s Association Safety & Security seminar; Integration information session; Inclusion in Irish Media and Arts – Panel discussion; Southside Travellers Action Group Fashion Show as well as much much more to promote ‘Belonging | Muintearas’ in our community this autumn during the dlr Festival of Inclusion.