Sutton woman died after developing sepsis from tea scald

by Sylvia Pownall
0 comment

[vc_row][vc_column width=”2/3″][vc_column_text]A 91-year-old Sutton woman died after developing sepsis due to a scald from tea spilt in her lap while out to lunch, her inquest has heard.

Mrs Daphne Anderson died after she sustained third-degree burns over 6% of her body after she was scalded but did not immediately report it.

An inquest into her death, previously adjourned after the woman’s daughter called for the exhumation of her body for a fresh autopsy, concluded at Dublin Coroner’s Court with a narrative verdict.

However, the elderly woman’s daughter, Audrey Anderson, had instructed her legal team to make the court aware her preference was for a verdict of medical misadventure which she claimed was “more accurate”.

Daphne Anderson, from Offington Lawn in Sutton, went for tea at a Dublin hotel with her daughter Audrey on November 30, 2015.

The following day she was examined by a GP and was found to have marked skin, blisters and oozing on her upper thigh area.

She was admitted to the Bon Secours Hospital in Dublin on December 1. Mrs Anderson was reviewed and transferred to the specialist burns unit at St James’s Hospital on December 3.

She was treated with antibiotics and intravenous fluids and her condition improved until December 14 when she began to deteriorate rapidly after she developed a perforated colon. She died four days later on December 18.

Consultant histopathologist at St James’s Hospital, Dr Mairin McMenamin, reviewed the autopsy records and delivered an updated cause of death as intra-abdominal sepsis and colon perforation, adding: “In my opinion, if she had not received the burns she would not have died at this time.”[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/3″][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Related Articles