‘Vicious gang attack on Dublin Gardaí absolutely deplorable’ – says TD

by Rose Barrett
0 comment

Sinn Fein Spokesperson on Justice Martin Kenny TD has joined political leaders in condemnation of the distressing scenes in Ballyfermot earlier this week in which two gardaí were set upon by a large group of young men – the fourth such incident in recent months.

He further noted the incident comes in the wake of more than 100 resignations from An Garda Síochana in 2022

The Garda Press Office confirmed the gardaí were in place “as part of a policing plan in advance of an event scheduled to take place in the Ballyfermot area” on Monday morning last.

Large crowds were expected for the funeral of a young man, during which a number of instances of dangerous driving and reckless endangerment were observed by gardaí.

When a garda went to intervene, he was struck with a missile and subsequently received medical treatment. It is believed a bottle was thrown at the officer who was treated for a possible fractured jaw.

A video has been shared widely on social media showing how some youth and men turned on another member of the force along with significant damage done to a community policing patrol car and a marked patrol car.

Teachta Kenny said: “Unfortunately, we are speaking again today about yet another vicious attack on frontline members of An Garda Siochana during the course of their work protecting their communities. My thoughts and best wishes go to both members who were set upon during the course of their duties.

“Let me be quite clear, these horrendous attacks cannot and will not be tolerated. The details emerging about this incident are frightening and must be causing serious concern for the majority of decent, ordinary people living and working in Ballyfermot and the wider south Dublin area.

“In no way do the actions of those responsible represent the majority of people in Ballyfermot and their actions should not be allowed to tar an entire community.”

Two men were arrested on the Kylemore Road in relation to incidents of dangerous driving and two motorbikes were seized. Both males were taken to garda stations in South Dublin and have since been released pending a file to the DPP.

 “I would appeal to anyone who has information related to this attack to come forward confidentially and assist in identifying those involved. They must be brought to justice,” said Deputy Kenny. “Gardaí must be able to carry out their duties safely. The government must do everything possible to appropriately resource and support police officers so that they can get on with their jobs protecting communities without fearing such disgraceful violence.”

The Garda Press Office stated a policing plan remains in place in the area to ensure the safety of local residents.

Related Articles