As part of Operation Tara, Gardaí seized approximately €1m of drugs in Co Louth. Gardaí conducted a search on the Ecco Road, Dundalk, shortly before 4pm on Tuesday last, January 3 2023.
During the course of the search, 50kg of suspected cannabis herb was discovered.
All drugs will be sent to Forensic Science Ireland for further analysis.
One man, aged in his 20s was arrested at the scene and was taken to Dundalk Garda station where he is currently detained under Section 2 of the Criminal Justice (Drug Trafficking) Act, 1996.
Earlier this week, revenue officers seized almost €340 worth of cocaine (street value) in Dublin. See https://dublingazette.com/crime/joint-operation-revenue-officers-cocaine-543222/
This seizure forms part of Operation Tara; an enhanced national anti-drugs strategy, which was launched by Garda Commissioner Drew Harris in July 2021. The focus of Operation Tara is to disrupt, dismantle and prosecute drug trafficking networks, at all levels – international, national, local – involved in the importation, distribution, cultivation, production, local sale and supply of controlled drugs.
Photograph: Garda Press Office
- Gardaí appeal for help to locate missing 17-year-old from Rathmines
- The Future of Public Service Delivery shows reliance and disparity between voluntary and paid sector
- Warning of ‘thermal stress’ impact on Dublin fish
- Ballyboden close gap on Sarsfields
- Permission for almost 1,000 apartments in Blanchardstown upheld by An Bord Pleanála